<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar/19632519?origin\x3dhttp://obsidian-butterfly.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, December 31
2008 has come and gone.

And what a year it has been. If someone is to ask me for a single word that describes the past year, the first word that comes to my mind would be "Loss". The loss of lives in the Si Chuan earthquake and recent Mumbai incident. The loss experienced in the financial markets. The loss….


On second thoughts, I settled on “Change” instead. At least that’s slightly less pessimistic. The word came about due to a phrase I’ve been using often recently and Sis agreed with me that the only constant in life is Change itself.


[生命没有一种绝对。]

2008.
A year of major changes and milestones in my life.

Graduation was one. Stepping into the working society is another. Not to mention the recent spate of events. At every point of transition, I’ve learnt and grown from the experiences involved. Somehow, it feels as if I’ve gone through such a long journey that Bizad seems like a lifetime ago. Guess the past couple of months have been so overwhelming that I can’t seem to remember much about the rest of the year. Maybe just as well?


For friends and close ones who've noticed the status change, pray spare me the "what happened-s" and "why-s". [For others who’ve noticed the change, don’t even bother. Because I won’t bother either.] Certain facts are just what they are. Facts. I doubt any question would bring about any change in the current state of affairs. I’m also weary. Weary of recollections and all. But thanks, thanks to all the darlings out there who have stood by me and given me their support in one way or another. Even when some had absolutely no idea what was going on, while others had serious doubts about my sanity and questioned my common sense. I could not have survived the emotional trauma (such a strong word) if not for them.


Oh. Let me eat my own words. I guess there may just be one constant in life.


Friendship.

Over the years, I’ve learnt that there are people whom I can count on to share my happiest times and some of my lowest points in life. So here’s a tribute to my friends, in the last few moments of 2008 and as my gift for you guys and gals for the New Year, my heartfelt thanks and friendship.


To Sis,
Yahui,
Amanda,
Weihao,
Sam,
Linting,
and Debra.

Thank you. Thanks for lending me your ears, and for rushing to my side and truly making time for me when I desperately needed some advice and help in preventing me from screwing up my own life too badly. Where else am I able to find friends who would travel all the way down to the airport to dine and pep-talk me. I’m blessed to have you guys in my life. And dear dear Sam. How I miss you so. Thanks for the sweet Christmas card you sent and for your call. You wouldn’t know how much your call meant to me :) And of course, Amanda…when are you sharing Brandon with me? Lol.


Sometimes it does scare me. There are close friends and there are boyfriends. Both are people whom I connect with on a deep level. In fact, the connection with the latter should be all that much deeper (may I say by default?) But. Sadly, when unforeseen circumstances happen, it’s the former that hangs around while the latter…


Maybe there shouldn’t be any latter then. Maybe if I treasure a person enough to want him to stay around, then he should always remain as a close friend.


也许。


It’s actually past midnight as I continue drafting this entry. So here’s a happy 2009 to all. I used to make New Year resolutions but I no longer believe in them. Somehow, New Year to me is just a change in numbers. If one means to achieve his/her resolutions, would it really matter when the resolutions were made? Would the fact that the resolutions were made on 1st January XXXX bring about greater willpower and perseverance to oneself to achieve them? I have my reservations.


Similarly, promises seldom hold much meaning to me. They are just words and words are cheap to come by. In fact, words are free. If one really means something, does it really matter whether he/she makes a declaration, “I promise *blabblab…”? Such words would only mean more hurt and heartbreak. Broken Promises.


I may be more of a pessimist than I thought I am. Nice way to start the year.



A poem I’ve kept for a long time since 2004.
Yahui, this is dedicated to you. May you find strength in it as I once did.


After a while you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn
that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of woman, not the grief of a child
and you learn
to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is
too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down
in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns
if you get too much
so you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone
to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
you really are strong
you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn
with every goodbye, you learn...


Happy 2009 to one and all.

May you find peace with yourself and those around you.

May you find the courage to give love freely and the grace to receive that given.

May you find the strength to forgive and seek forgiveness before it is too late to do so.

May you find the perseverance to pursue your own dreams and to overcome the adversities thrown in your face.

And may you find friendship that will last you through your life (as I’m truly blessed to).

The profile
name: chee's blog

The people

*amanda
*skylark
*mandy
*germ
*old blog

The says



The past
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
October 2006
December 2006
January 2007
May 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
May 2008
June 2008
December 2008
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
June 2011
January 2012
July 2012
September 2012


The credit
blog: [x]
shoutbox: [x]
slide: [x]

etiquity%
layout: [x] [x]
image: [x]
brushes: [x]